Monday, December 12, 2016

Synopsis Updated

A popular post from May 2009

By Josi S. Kilpack

Over the last six years or so I have given several presentations on how to write a synopsis. I gathered my information from books and websites; compiling it into instructions that are easier to follow and understand than many other resources. At a recent writing conference I was told that one of the 'rules' I have been teaching, is no longer in favor with the novel writing community. I have updated the Synopsis posts I've done on this blog, Part I and Part II, but am trying hard to make everyone that might have read the 'rule' aware of the change. Needless to say I am humbled by the correction. I certainly prefer to be right about everything all the time, so admitting I was wrong does not come easy to me, but I hope it's less about my ego and more about truly wanting people to be pointed in the right direction. Maybe it's a little of both :-)

Oh, what was the rule?

I've taught that when writing a synopsis you should put your characters name in ALL CAPS the first time you mention it in your synopsis, then use regular capitalization for other mentions of that character. Editors and Agents currently prefer just normal capitalization of the first letter of the name.

Thanks much,

4 comments:

* said...

Good to know. thanks!

Anonymous said...

I have read that "rule" in other places.

It doesn't seem like it should be that big of a deal.

What is the problem with it that should make you feel so humbled?

Josi said...

Well, I've touted myself as a bit of an expert--so, being told by true experts that I got it wrong and then taught it wrong is a dose of humility for me. But that's good for me, right?

Heather Moore said...

I guess it just boils down to an agents' preference, so all the more reason to read their guidelines before submitting :)